Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Are You a Buccaneer-Scholar?

You life for…

  • Firsthand knowledge instead of learning from an authority figure (like a lecture, rules, etc.)
  • Self-directed learning. Your methods are heuristic, not dogmatic.

You hunt ideas…

  • Curiosity drives you. You are driven by the power of novel and diverse ideas.
  • Puzzles intrigue you.
  • Complexity dares you. You know that if someone else has learned it, you can too.

You win your place in the thinking world…

  • You construct yourself. For you, learning is about ongoing personal transformation, not just fact accumulation. You see yourself as thinker-learner-teacher.
  • You earn reputation. You establish and maintain your reputation through the merit of your ideas. You want to earn the respect of people whom you respect.

Source: Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar. How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success (2009) by James Marcus Bach.

Here are some of the author’s great secrets:

  • My [the author] education is the mind I have constructed and my process of constructing it.
  • My mind is free, even from me.
  • Most of my learning is a side effect.
  • What appears to be chaos is just a form of order I don’t yet understand.
  • At a distance, many fun things to learn look scary.
  • If I try to understand, but fail, that’s progress.
  • Few people out there want exactly what I’m offering, but a few is all I need.
  • Intelligence is just a tool. Love is the point.
  • Whenever I’m learning something difficult, I keep expectations low, and aspirations high.
  • To build my brand name, I must stand for something, even if many people won’t get it or don’t like it.
  • Anything I learn is a gateway to everything else I will ever know.

The author’s website is: Self Made Scholar.com.

No comments: