Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Driver License Renewal for My Dead Mom

The title of this blog is absolutely true! Thursday of last week, my dad received a letter in a mail from my state's Department of Revenue addressed to my deceased mom who died four years ago. When I first saw the envelope I thought my mom owed state income tax (that'll probably be next!). Nope, I was wrong. It was from the DMV! The Division of Motor Vehicles sent my mom who is dead for four years driver's license renewal papers. The envelope contained all the papers you would expect: the License Renewal Exam, the Driver License Renewal Exam handbook and the thin cardboard you take to the exam station. Got to love government! I wonder if I'll get my driver license renewal notice when I am dead and gone! Ha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like someone forgot to do their homework and notify DMV of your mom's passing. Death certificates are filed with local governments only and even then they do not communicate within their own respective departments. DMV being state government would have no idea a death certificate was on file with your city. I would double check every authority, Federal, State, County and City government to make sure they know your mom has passed to prevent this from happening again and most of all to prevent identity theft. Government is not there to do everything for us; we sometimes have to stand up and take responsibility for ourselves!