Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Assertive Beliefs

Other people cannot be trusted to do as they are told.Much of what we do, say or feel is based on our beliefs. Problems occur when we hold contradictory beliefs about ourselves and about other people. If you have assertive beliefs then assertive behavior will follow.

Beliefs that drive assertive behavior include:

  • I am equal to others with the same fundamental rights.
  • I am free to think, choose and make decisions for myself.
  • I am able to try things, make mistakes, learn and improve.
  • I am responsible for my own actions and my responses to other people.
  • I do not need permission to take action.
  • It is okay to disagree with others. Agreement is not always necessary or possible.

Hmmm. Sounds like conservative beliefs to me. If gov’t would encourage these beliefs the country would be better off.

Source: How to Drive a Tank and Other Everyday Tips for the Modern Gentleman (2012) by Frank Coles.

On the other hand these aggressive beliefs sound like the Left:

  • I am cleverer and more powerful than other people.
  • Other people cannot be trusted to do as they are told.
  • It’s a dog-eat-dog world. I must get other people before they get me.
  • The only way to get things done is to tell people. Asking is a sign of weakness.
  • People who do not fight hard for what they want get what they deserve.

No comments: