Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Hope of Mankind

Here is another speech Ronald Reagan did Sept. 21, 1976:

Every once in a while all of us native born Americans should make it a
point to have a conversation with one who is an American by choice. They
can do a lot to firm up our resolve to be free for another 200 years.

In a dinner at Mt. Vernon back in revolutionary times, Lafayette  turned to his host and said “General Washington you Americans even in war and desperate times have a superb spirit. You are happy and you are confident. Why is it?” Washington answered “There is freedom, there is space for a man to be alone and think and there are friends who owe each other nothing but affection.” So simple an answer and so true.

Now 200 years later our self respect as a nation has undergone a strain. At times it has seemed as if the symbol of American power has become our departing ambassador, flag under his arm boarding a rescue helicopter.

But there is an awful lot of that other America still around. Like beauty it may be in the eye of the beholder. A few years back a woman who had fled from Poland wrote a letter and said, “Among some of our American born friends it is not fashionable to be enthusiastic about America. There is V.N. drugs, urban and racial conflict, poverty and pollution. Undoubtedly this country faces urgent and serious problems. But we newcomers see not only the problems but also solutions being sought and applied.

I love America because people accept me for what I am. They don’t question my ancestry, my faith, my political beliefs. When I want to move from one place to another I don’t have to ask permission. When I need a needle I go to the nearest store and get one. I don’t have to stand in line for hours to buy a piece of tough, fat meat. Even with inflation I don’t have to pay a days earnings for a small chicken.

I love America because America trusts me. I don’t have to show an identity card to buy a pair of shoes. My mail isn’t censored and my conversation with friends isn’t reported to the secret police.”

More recently On July 5” the “London Daily Mail” filled it’s editorial page with an article by Ferdinand Mount in which he sharply criticized his fellow Britons and other Europeans who delight in lambasting the U.S. He said: “What the world needs now is more Americans. The U.S. is the 1st nation on earth deliberately dedicated to letting people choose what they want and giving them a chance to get it. For all it’s terrible faults, in one sense America still is the last, best hope of mankind, because it spells out so vividly the kind of happiness which most people actually want, regardless of what they are told they ought to want.  We  criticize,” he said, “copy, patronize, idolize, insult but we never doubt that the U.S. has a unique position in the history of human hopes. For it is the only nation founded solely on a moral dream. A part of our own future is tied up in it and the greatest of all the gifts the Americans have given us is hope.”

Source: Reagan In His Own Hand.

Sadly, Obama and people like him don’t think America is the “best hope of mankind.” And because of that belief they want to remake America in their own twisted image.

No comments: