Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death! Paraphrase

Here is my paraphrase of the Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death speech that Founding Father Patrick Henry gave:

Mr. President:

I don’t think the less of freedom anymore than the next man does, or even you. If what I say offends any of you, I’m sorry, and I apologize, but nonetheless it is of a matter of importance, not to me alone, but to everyone. The question before the house is a matter of freedom or slavery. So if I keep my opinions back because of giving offense I would divert the truth which is like lying to myself to the country, and the Almighty One. It is common for man to believe in hope, to shut his eyes against pain, but the pain doesn’t go away. No! It doesn’t! I don’t believe in this and I will try my best to know the whole truth and to provide for it. Experience is my guiding light to see through the trouble. I myself don’t believe the British will help us, you can see that from the past. We shall decieve ouselves no more. By deceiving ourselves we would then comply to British accusations that we are weak and they are strong. We have tried peaceful tactics, did everything we could but to no avail. The war will come, and let it come! I repeat let it come! We shall use the weapons we know and not surrender. We are already in slavery, but no more if we have this war. Peace will not come for those who cry out, but only to those who fight for it. I cannot speak for everybody, but as for myself, let me be free or kill me!

I wrote this I believe when I was in grade school. I got a 29/30 score. The errors on the original essay were corrected here.

No comments: