Monday, April 16, 2007

Shopping Hurts The Earth

Yes, you read that right. According to Canada's gov't environmental adviser, Jonathon Porritt, people must shop less because consumerism is killing the planet. I guess shopping ranks up there with murder. I wonder if this guy has a wife or sister and what they think. I believe it was US Senator Hollings said one time "there is too much consuming going on." I can see it now. A young skull full of mush comes home from school saying to his mom, "Mommy, mommy. My teacher told me shopping is destroying the planet! We must do less shopping!" Then the mom replies, "Yes, dear. That's too bad. So, does that mean we don't buy you anymore birthday or Christmas presents?" Which then the kid gives his/her mom a wide-eyed look. Not to mention, we have to give less wedding presents, baby shower gifts, retirement presents, etc.

Haven't we heard this "sky is falling" routine before? It was Prof. Paul R. Ehrlich who said that the world would experience famines sometime between 1970 and 1985. It did not happen. All this "less shopping" rhetoric is just another example of anti-capitalism.

By the way, if you are keeping count, this is my 100th blog entry! Yea! I should buy myself something to celebrate, but I guess we are supposed to shop less. Oh, well.

No comments: